Main Forum

Thoughts on classes in the BfA beta

8 replies
Votes:
+10
Untagged users
I haven't been on the beta much but today I messed around on all 5 of the classes I've created to try to get a feel for how things have/haven't changed.

Hunter is the most interesting to me at the moment thanks to pet changes and Marks being redone. Marks is playable now (I DESPISE Legion Marks. I can't over exaggerate how much I loath it. I did the Marks artifact weapon scenario as BM.) Vulnerable is gone (GOOD RIDDANCE) and I actually feel like a sharpshooter instead of spraying and praying. You have four main abilities, without going into to much detail two of them generate focus, two of them spend it and you can really affect your play style by what talents you choose.

Pet changes: I currently have five pets on the beta, basic models selected by Blizz. Scorpid, Turtle, Cat, Dog, Bird. Cat and Dog are Ferocity and as we were warned you can't change the spec of your pet. Turtle and Scorpid are Tenacity, Bird is Cunning. Each family had a special ability that goes on your bar (it's called Command Pet if you have no pet active), the Ferocity family gets Primal Rage (aka Heroism/Time Warp), Tenacity family gets Survival of the Fittest which is a damage reduction cooldown for you and your pet. Cunning gets Master's Call.

Lots of random bugs still like numbers changing on talents as I am staring at them and my Bird refusing to go away when I dismiss it or the bird coming when I summon another pet (called the dog and had dog plus bird out just now).
Posted May 5, 18 · OP · Last edited May 16, 18
Votes:
+10
Untagged users
Thoughts on other classes: druid hasn't changed a whole lot. Take away the artifact, legendaries and swap a few talents around and you've got Resto, Guardian and Feral in BfA. There are a couple new/newish spells (resto gets Soothe back), a couple spells go away, (RIP Healing Touch, I'm very bitter over losing you). I have not tried Boomkin, I have heard it did get changed a lot and will try to get to it but I'm trying to level the druid to 120 so we'll see how it goes.

Same thing for frost and fire mages. Unequip your artifact and legendaries, swap a few things around and you've got BfA.

The only monk spec I've messed with is Mistweaver which was tweaked a bit, need to play monk more. Soothing Mists was redone to an 8 second channel, which feels very different and like druids our inexpensive spell single target spell is gone.
Posted May 5, 18 · OP · Last edited May 5, 18
Votes:
+10
Untagged users
Forgot paladin: Ret is playable again! And yes I will always take the Hammer of Wrath talent no I will never care what is "best". Hammer of Wrath forever. Selfless Healer is back which makes me happy. As a healer I get fixated on talents like that for DPS.

Prot and Holy only got minor tweaks.
Posted May 5, 18 · OP
Votes:
+10
Untagged users
As I mentioned I'm going to try to level the druid to 120, no promises though and that is the only toon I am going to level. The last thing I want to do is burn out on the leveling process before BfA is released. I will continue to tinker around on the rest though and am specifically planning on going out to tame a number of hunter pets to see what fits into the different families.

If anyone has any questions about druid/paladin/hunter/mage/monk feel free to ask and I'll see what I can do.
Posted May 5, 18 · OP
Votes:
+231
Admins
Officer
Wanna See My Picture
I, too, did the MM artifact challenge as BM, but I've always been BM and changing that is not an option for me. I dismissed the dog. Useless, as far as I was concerned. The turtle is okay but, unlike my Legion turtles, he seems to die too much. I saw a hunter with a bear, but I haven't found any bears I can tame. I really, really, really miss Ursa. I'm using the cat almost exclusively. I only use my birds for PvP because their screech interrupts casters. I don't like the model they gave us so I am not using it. The scorpion, blah. I have nothing, right now, to recommend it.

What I want is one of those wolves with the armor, but I don't know if taming pets is something you can do right now. (5-6) There are a lot of new pets, particularly dinosaurs, which are attractive. I would like to test them, but I haven't found anything tameable.

We don't know if we'll be getting extra stable slots. We've been yelling about this for years.

I'm finding BM easy to play and I enjoy it.
What is there that makes life worth living?...Cats. Cats are nice. -- Death in "Sourcery" by Terry Pratchett
Posted May 6, 18
Votes:
+10
Untagged users
I am also finding BM easy to play and enjoyable. I'm happy that Marks is playable again but have gotten very attached to BM and will probably stick with it as my main spec.

I went out this morning and tamed a bunch of pets in Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor to see what families would fall into each spec. The dog and the bird both kept popping out if I tamed something or summoned something despite me leaving both the dog and the bird in the stable. Bug reported!

I can't get to Pandaria or Legion (no portals open, no quests to open portals available) so I can't tame any pets from those areas to test them. So far I've got:

Ferocity family: Cat, Dog, Wasp, Devilsaur (which is still special and has a special ability), Wolf and Bear
Tenacity: Turtle, Scorpid, Gorilla
Cunning: Bird of Prey, Raptor, Shale Spider, Fox, Basilisk, Moth, Sporebat

It feels really weird that Tenacity pets are not better at tanking than the other two and that all three specs do the same damage. At the same time it's nice I won't have to use my turtle for questing/leveling.
Posted May 6, 18 · OP
Votes:
+32
Wanna See My Picture
I played Monk Windwalker a bit, and so far it feels much the same, with similar tallents. I'll try playing the other Monk specs next.
Posted May 9, 18
List
Undo
Votes:
+37
Wanna See My Picture
Maging on the beta so far
I've only used the fire spec so far, but now I feel like I need to try the other two and do a comparison to how mobs go down, etc.

Things I like about fire mage so far:
  • The phoenix flames are still around as a handy fast spell
  • Fire seems to have a good mix of aoe and single target spells. I can take on multiple mobs at once if I am careful
  • Cooldowns are currently a pain but I've heard there is a fix in the works

I also took tailoring and disenchanting as professions, same as I have on live. Yes first aid bandages are in tailoring now. Eh. One thing I noticed that did not make a lot of sense was the new "scrapbot" system. After the initial quest, I was not able to do as it instructed on any of my items. I put in a bug for that but I could have been doing it wrong. Either way it was not intuitive.
enjin-63268-1349554635537333787-blue.png
Posted May 13, 18 · Last edited May 13, 18
Votes:
+19
Online on Site
Untagged users
Survival thoughts.

I like that Mongoose Bite isn't Mandatory any longer; I don't know how it'll compare dps-wise with having it and the whole Mongoose Fury window or eschewing it but I like having the option to remove the complexity. I like the addition of Kill Command and the talent synergies with it as well as the serpent sting addition. It's nice having a few more missile options but still primarily being a melee fighter. Deeply disappointed that two-weapon fighting is a forgotten option for hunters, sure we can do it as long as you don't want to do any main abilities.
Posted May 14, 18
Top Posters
3430 Posts
413 Posts
264 Posts
251 Posts
173 Posts
NoticeNotices